Title Image
Home About Get Involved Get Connected Youth Program Childrens Ministry Calendar Messages Contact Links

 

Mission & History

Our original Baker City building was dedicated 1885

Calvary Baptist Church (CBC) was first constituted as the First Baptist Church of Baker City; and was organized December 7th, 1874, by the first 11 members. They called their first pastor, Rev. E.P. Waltz January 2nd, 1875.

Construction on the first church building began in 1882. The building was completed and dedicated in 1885. The original building sat on the Northwest corner of Center (now named Broadway) and 3rd streets.

In 1890 a second Baptist church was organized by then current members of First Baptist Church. They named the church Immanuel Baptist Church. The separation of these churches lasted 24 years and came to an end in 1914. On July 17th of that year a business meeting was called to discuss plans for the union of the two churches (First Baptist and Immanuel Baptist churches). On August 6th, 1914 the two churches merges and Calvary Baptist Church (CBC) was born, meeting in the old First Baptist Church building.

CBC belonged to the Grande Ronde Association (of Baptist Churches) which was associated with the State Convention. Due to disagreements with the State Convention CBC changed their affiliation to the Blue Mountain Conservative Baptist Association in January of 1952, with whom we are associated with to this today.

CBC still meets in the original building constructed in 1882-1885. Over the years the church building has undergone several additions, expansions and renovations, but the original building is still apart of the current facility. Some of the expansion has taken place outside of the physical building. In 1987 the church bought the house at 2130 4th street, which was eventually remodeled and has functioned as the church offices since 1997. In 1998 the church put in the current parking lot that sits on the North side of the church building. The newest of the renovations to our church exterior took place in 2004, the acquisition of the property on the Northeast corner of Broadway and 4th street. We demolished the old warehouse that sat there, and through a generous donation, a beautiful landscaped lawn replaced it.

CBC has been serving in the Baker City community for 140 years+ and has a rich history of ministry during that time. From children’s ministries to adult ministries to missions work and community outreach; there was even a radio program that ran from 1946-1962.

As impressive as a history as CBC has, it is not a place where we can live. There is much going on today as we work to meet the needs of present day Baker City and the world and as we plan for the future. We would like to encourage you to come and see how you can get involved, and help us in our mission to build bridges of influence into our community and the world through loving God and loving people.
 

   

 

©2007 Calvary Baptist Church